Electronic Health Records and Implementations with Evolving Technologies
Advancement in Interoperability and Integration
The identification of Healthcare Information Technology is a critical tool for improving patient safety and the quality of patient care. Healthcare organizations continue to invest in system solutions that can be leveraged across the care continuum and ultimately improve patient outcomes. The substance and advancement of Electronic Medical Records (EMR), Electronic Health Records (EHR), and peripherals are everchanging with the new landscape of the Healthcare Industry.
The recent pandemic and changes in the workforce have heightened pressures within the industry and stimulated continued growth of the Telehealth, Virtual Care, & Patient Engagement sectors. By way of Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, and a continued focus on interoperability of data found outside the traditional care delivery settings due to wearable devices and other mobile applications, EMR and EHRs are evolving with new capabilities. These influences, along with healthcare organizations diversifying revenue and the continuous activity with mergers and acquisitions, have allowed forward-thinking institutions to put the utmost importance on optimizing revenue and loss in productivity.
Partnering for Successful Projects
Proven Methodology for Healthcare Implementations
Partnering with companies that specialize in Healthcare IT services and providing both tangible and flexible performance-focused solutions is a priority within our client relationships. Each healthcare environment has its unique situations and requires tailored conditions. With this front of mind, TSG delivers appropriate solutions based on our client needs. These solutions come from a collaborative approach with focused methodologies including:
- Readiness Assessments of Current Systems
- Exploratory Review of Current State Workflows
- Industry Best Practices Integrated with Client
- Recommendations on Roadmap for Execution
- Identification and Mitigation of Risks
- Development of Tailored Communication and Training
Regardless of the scope and extent, successful implementations involve the use and knowledge of stakeholders, executive support throughout the lifecycle, and a focus on system design per client requirements. This approach, along with collaborative subject matter experts with real-world experiences, all add up to ensuring seamless integrations and realizing comprehensive KPI’s.
Some areas of expertise include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Implementation Planning/Design/Build/Initiation/Post-Go Live Support
- System & Workflow Optimization
- Application Training and Education
- Interface Design and Standardization
- Strategic Planning & Vendor Selection
- Data Extracts/Analytics/Reporting/Conversion Support
- Project Management
- Application Management Services
- Knowledge Transfer
In a multi-year initiative, TSG’s client searched for a partner to help create a standardized platform for all their customers and U.S. based labs. TSG experts spent time with the team to fully acknowledge their needs and produced a comprehensive solution that involved over 70 EMR/HL7 Interface Analysts, 16 Developers, Testers, and multiple HL7 Architects.
Aligning Healthcare IT Subject Matter Experts for Significant Results
The rapid fulfillment of an entire team and appointing a long-term engagement manager to be the single point of contact allowed us to exceed expectations and stay engaged at scale with our client. In addition to being the single point of contact, engagement managers also work to identify and manage service level agreements, team performance, and project scope as dictated in the SOW, including financial performances, such as invoicing and budget tracking. This allows our clients to focus on meeting their internal business objectives and aggressive timelines. Meanwhile, TSG delivers recruitment, hiring and performance management, and scalable processes for expense and travel processing of project resources.
Additionally, the TSG team not only had to have wide-ranging experience with clinical interfaces, but also a proven track record in design, configuration, testing, implementation, and post-implementation support. Other responsibilities that were required included:
- Participate in information gathering for interface requirements and providing overall knowledge and project leadership to ensure Hospital and Physician client interfaces adapted the client’s HL7 standards per specification
- Partnering with client to understand limitations and benefits of specific EMR to Lab Information System (LIS) interfaces during implementation, allowing for lab test ordering and accuracy of results reporting
- Deliver communication methods, support documentation, and operation checklists relative to new or existing client interfaces
- Interact directly with client and vendors regarding project status updates and overseeing the design and overall implementation with respect to the project plan
- Provide issue resolution and process improvement with an exchange of ideas forum during user-group sessions with EMR/LIS clients and internal staff
Healthcare IT Managed Solutions and Proven Results
TSG’s Managed Solutions team provides a secure relationship to our client, built on the trust of delivering a proven solution that meets and exceeds expectations set by the client.
A quality managed solutions partner will approach every bid with the following objectives:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the client needs
- Alignment of service capabilities to the opportunity
- Appropriate pricing with articulated value-add
- Post-award follow-up and monitoring
By partnering with a company that specializes in Healthcare IT and application-specific technologies, our clients are able to successfully execute the project at hand and consistently deliver the expertise necessary for the complexities and progression of the healthcare landscape.
About the Author
Ben Hampshire is a Solutions Architect at The Select Group with over 10 years of experience in Healthcare IT. Ben specializes in both consulting and operational capacities while leading Electronic Health Record systems initiatives across the medical and revenue cycle landscape. His initiatives include implementation of new software and interfaces, integrations involving M&A, expansion of facilities, and migration projects. When he’s not collaborating with business partners or leveraging best-in-practice software, hardware, and infrastructure, you can find Ben outdoors or on the water enjoying time with his family. Connect with me on LinkedIn
Implementing a new application?
We can help.